Jeroen Roovers posted on Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:00:53 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:46:14 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Alexis Ballier posted on Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:40:33 +0200 as excerpted:
>> > I don't see how git helps. You'll have to commit twice then push, vs
>> > commit twice with cvs.
>>
>> But git commits are quite lightweight, while as someone already pointed
>> out, cvs commits, if done properly with repoman, are anything but.
>
> Er, you can't be seriously suggesting we will drop repoman checks with
> the migration to git? I don't see how that would benefit anyone.

Rich and others have already covered it, but since it was my post you
replied to with the question, I'll confirm, what they said was what I had
in mind...

Just because you're doing a git commit doesn't mean you're doing a push
to the main infra-hosted tree.  Individual git commits are as I said,
(very) light weight, making even a five-minute "autosave" commit process
entirely feasible on the local working branch.  (Presumably, if one were
to do that, a rebase would be done condensing all those auto-saves into a
single atomic commit at the next higher branch level... branches too
being /very/ lightweight with git, thus enabling an auto-save branch, a
session-save branch, an atomic-commit branch..., with each of these
possible for each of a dozen different individual projects a dev might be
undertaking in parallel... no problem from a git perspective!)

But repoman has little to do with them since all it cares about is that
the rules are followed when the changes get pushed to the tree.  Commit/
branch all you want locally, then run repoman on the "upstreaming" branch
before the push to infra (or to a public overlay or whatever, if an
overlay is being used as an intermediate step).