On 21/07/2013 23:38, hasufell wrote:
>>> - consistency of tree quality
> does not apply to p.mask'd packages

p.mask says that the package is in _bad_ quality, explicitly, and you
can say how, so "does not apply" are not really the words I'd use.

>>> - less user confusion (the checksum failures alone get us a lot of bugs
>>> every release without people realizing what it means...) and people
>>> expect packages to work in the tree
> maybe

Not p.masked packages they don't. Just state it outright, maybe even
fetch-restrict the package and warn them...

>>> - less bugs no one can do anything about
> does not apply

*How* does making it into a semi-official one-purpose overlay reduce the
number of bugs users report? Either you're banning it into a
non-Gentoo-owned overlay, or you're just betting they would get the
reason why it's not in an overlay, same applies to p.mask.

>>> - easier contribution of users in an overlay, testing of hacks or other
>>> stuff to make it work
> does not apply

I'm afraid I have to agree with Michael here. Proxies would do that, and
users are still free to experiment with overlaid version, I don't see
how this makes much of a difference.

>>> - making clear that gentoo does not support software with such low QA
> does not apply

It applies perfectly. It's a p.mask for a reason, and can convey reasons.

It's your package, do what you want, but stop just trying to force your
views into suggestions, just because you already reached your
conclusion, please.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/