On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 01:26:25 +0200
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Afaiu pmasks are rather meant for
> a) new, very hot versions of libraries/tools that can break your
> system in more than one part
> b) security masks, temporary masks and other masks we expect to remove
> in the future

You can just summarize all possible reasons, by "does not work well";
and that's exactly what google-earth falls under as well. So, just go
mask it; and as we don't want to remove it just yet we can delay the
decision to last rite the package for later. Before we last rite, has
anyone tried to collaborate with upstream about their packaging style?

> And I said more than once that we can probably move it to science-overlay.

Overlays aren't the problem here, they'll follow automatically; even
with just the mask in place, I think there are people that are going to
try to provide it more easily anyway. And the use of a lot of overlay
packages isn't really a problem, when said person has a small overlay.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D