On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:44:57 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:31:14 -0400
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Well, ok, but this doesn't relate to what I was writing. Subslot, or
> > slot emulators or whatever, in their current usage with :=
> > dependencies, are not fine grained enough for some use cases. Those
> > cause regressions if used improperly.
>
> There is no regression. Previously, packages sometimes broke when
> doing an upgrade. Now, packages do not break when doing an upgrade.

The regression is the useless rebuild. Without preserve-libs, packages
break even more: cf the libc example.

> > > You just make the ebuilds install different bits. In effect you
> > > emulate a simple subset of how parts would do it.
> >
> > Which needs patching to be done properly... unless you are
> > suggesting to build it twice and throw away whats not needed just
> > to workaround subslots limitations.
>
> It's up to the relevant developers to decide how much work they're
> willing to put in to save some users a bit of CPU time.

It's up to those that want to force this on developers to do the
relevant work so that it can be done properly.

> > Your argumentation is basically 'Other parts are doing it wrong so
> > it's ok to add some more to it'... We're back a dozen emails back,
> > aren't we?
>
> It's not adding more to it. It's avoiding eliminating a tiny portion
> of it. Even if you subscribe to the notion that unnecessary rebuilds
> are a relevant problem, there's no point in caring about the
> occasional unnecessary rebuild due to overly strict dependencies when
> most unnecessary rebuilds are caused by something else entirely.

And here we go again...

> > It was meant as an example and has nothing to do with dependency
> > resolution. The above exercise is something extreme but that we have
> > to solve; preserve-libs has proven to be correct enough. You have
> > yet to show a correct, in your sense, solution.
>
> The correct solution is heavy slotting. And I'd hardly consider
> "intermittently introduces invisible security holes and causes
> unbootable systems" to be "correct enough"...

There is no difference between heavy slotting and preserve-libs in this
case.