On 08/08/13 12:39, Ben de Groot wrote:
On 7 August 2013 20:45, Michael Weber <x...@gentoo.org> wrote:
Greetings,

Gnome Herd decided to target stablilization of 3.8 [1] which requires
systemd.

What are the reasons to stable 3.8 and not 3.6, a version w/o this
restriction, enabling all non systemd users to profit from this
eye-candy as well.

I raise the freedom of choice card here. And deliberately choosing an
uncooperative version doesn't shine a good light.

People are free to use a saner desktop environment...

/me points to XFCE that will *not* be removing ConsoleKit support, or require systemd (however I'm going to append systemd support to 4.10, but the patches currently available are sub-par and none in upstream git yet)

does anyone know if Cinnamon, MATE, or whatever GNOME forks there are will keep ConsoleKit support or not? i'm not volunteering but I never really got why our GNOME maintainers insisted on staying with it instead of going with the distribution after it was clear logind is a dead end on non-systemd systemd

- Samuli