On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:46:34PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote

> Also, it really isn't Gentoo-specific, but putting /etc in a git repo
> is a really good practice, and I'm wondering if it should go in the
> handbook as a result.

  For regular users, who won't be up to developer standards, maybe the
wording should be a more generic "make a backup copy of" /etc.  I also
recommend backing up /var/lib, which contains iptables rules, alsa
state, portage "world", and other goodies.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>