> 1. Name

> - einstalldocs

>   -- probably the least confusing one, consistent with emake

Go for it.

> 2. Support for HTML_DOCS

I've no strong opinion about this one.

But if you are going to add it, then please support both array and
whitespace separated list, so that it's consistent with DOCS.

> 3. Support DOCS=() / DOCS='' to disable dodoc

Yes, please. The EAPI 4 default_src_install is broken that it doesn't
handle this case.

> For example, hasufell has suggested checking ${DOCS// /} to support
> DOCS='   ' as well.

Looks like over-engineering to me. Are there any use cases for it?

> 4. Globbing support in DOCS array
> 5. Appending to DOCS

Creeping featurism. Define an explicit src_install if you need any of
these, and I'm sure it will improve readability of your ebuild.

Ulrich