On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 September 2013 19:53, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> How do we handle packages which install multiple libraries? I'm afraid
>> forcing such a policy and/or hurrying developers to adapt will only
>> cause more of poppler-like issues to occur.
>

> Can you give a an example package which:
>
> - installs multiple libraries
> - has an ABI that may change for only one of those libraries
> - it is sane / plausible to expect one downstream dependent *not* to
> forcibly rebuild as a result of a chane in one of those libaries
> - it is sane / plausible to expect a different downstream to forcibly
> rebuild as a result of changes in one of those libraries

dev-python/PyQt4

Each module is a separate library, and each has its own ABI that can
change independently from the others. Downstream projects that rely
only on PyQt4's python API are not affected by ABI changes, but those
(very few) that link against one or more modules (e.g. kde-base/pykde4
I think) must be rebuilt.