On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 18:02:28 -0400
Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/01/2013 05:18 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 20:53:53 +0100
> > Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> wrote:
> >
> >> To clarify this point; contributing fixes back must always be the
> >> least effort of all ways to implement the fix in my own system.
> >> Optimize for the (desired) common case. Anything else pushes
> >> contributions away.
> >
> > Version control systems (eg. git) show otherwise.
>
> While I agree, I do not think this is a very constructive remark. Here
> is a link to documentation that shows how to do this.
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html#_example
>
> It is fairly easy once you know how.

Hmm, it perhaps isn't clear from what I wrote, but I meant that to be
general; thus the whole set of forking, pulling, pushing, merging, ...

I can't go and link all those; or well, maybe I can by just pointing to
the documentation but that would be a rather pointless addition.

Since a lot of people all across the world use git to contribute; my
answer meant to argue that it doesn't push contributions away, but
rather make them easier to do and maintain.

There isn't a general direct correlation between effort and efficiency;
so, sometimes by doing a little bit more effort, one can become way
more efficient at doing things. If effort isn't the selling point of
contributing, then efficiency will be; it depends on the way you look
at it. I do however have to agree there are people that see a version
control system as a barrier. There is no one size that fits all...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D