On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:47:05PM -0500, Wyatt Epp wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > Patrick thinks that all configuration files belong in /etc, and what has
> > happened is, some packages are placing default configuration
> > files in /lib or /usr/lib and allowing them to be overridden by files
> > with the exact same names and paths in /etc. His argument is that only
> > libraries belong in /lib or /usr/lib.
> >
> I didn't get that vibe from what was quoted in OP.  Maybe there's
> something missing.  But let's be real here: if I install something and
> want to configure its system-wide bits, the first place I go is ALWAYS
> /etc.  When I don't find it there, with the rest of the system config
> files, my day gets a little worse and I lose a bit of time trying to
> interrogate a search engine for the answer.  And that's annoying.
> That sucks.

This hasn't changed.
The configuration files these packages are putting in /lib are not
meant to be edited; they are the package provided defaults. If you want
to override one of them, you do that in a file with the same path and
name in /etc, like I mentioned in another message in this thread.

William