On 04/02/2014 02:00 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 02/04/14 05:02, Matt Turner wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> Projects like the Council, ComRel and QA are there to protect Gentoo;
>>> and yes, people are (or should be) lining up to protect Gentoo.
>> ... from QA.
>>
>> You don't seem to understand what Samuli is saying. QA is being used
>> as an offensive weapon. It's a stick to bludgeon others with.
>>

> Exactly.
>
> Anyone remembers what happened the last time this was tried?
>
> The "QA" attempted to force developers who didn't care if removed
> ebuilds are recorded in the ChangeLog or
> not, even while there was no policy in place that said they should be
> recorded there, and nothing was ever broken.
> People simply had different workflows.
>
> The whole existing team died with that debacle. I don't expect it to go
> exactly like that, this time, as the issue and
> people involved are different, but the point is, nothing good came out
> of it.
> If the people who insisted they should be recorded there had been in a
> productive fashion drive repoman to be
> patched for --echangelog, or discuss other solutions, we could have
> skipped the useless mudslinging.
>
> Force is not hardly ever the correct answer. It might work in a
> workplace, but not when people are contributing
> for free.

So forcing changes into the tree by stabilizing a bunch of new virtuals
and adjusting all the rdeps to use them is fine, but forcing discussion
is completely inappropriate?

Wow, now that I can see it your way I agree, I'm a horrible person.
I'll stick to randomly changing the tree as I see fit with no discussion
since forced discussion is so wrong.

- -Zero