On Sat, 31 May 2014 19:50:20 +0200
""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 5/29/14, 12:46 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > In general it has always worked well after a compile; but, there's
> > every now and then one or another annoying regression, like recent
> > Chromium had some font issues or some random tabs crash some
> > versions ago and ...
> >
> > If a test catches one of these, you can immediately report the
> > problem; if it is left untested, you'll have to do a debugging
> > adventure instead.
>
> This is one of my points: I don't remember a single chromium bug filed
> in Gentoo that would be caught by a test or that a failing test
> actually detected.

Your point covers the lack of tests, or tests that are non-fatal;
however, it doesn't cover tests that are fatal, what if they fail?

> By the way, I don't remember seeing many reports about font issues or
> tab crashes. Please make sure to file them when they occur, or just
> point me to them in case I somehow missed them.

They usually go straight to upstream, though I've managed to somehow
fix it up; as for Gentoo, some people create forum threads about them.

(One was due to a library compiled with a less common flag, the other
due to fontconfig being a regression magnet; both fun to debug, the
former a test wolud've caught, the latter is due to the lack thereof)

> > While I don't run tests myself; the need for them is clear, for
> > those that aim for more production ready systems (eg. university
> > network PCs).
>
> This seems too theoretical to me. I'd be fine with someone
> volunteering to maintain chromium's src_test in Gentoo. Unless we
> have such a person though, it seems to mostly take valuable focus
> away from bugs that definitely *do* affect our users, for no provable
> benefit for Gentoo.

What about provable benefit for upstream? Does upstream /dev/null them?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D