On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:24:11 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The point is, human communication is vastly more powerful

+1

It might not be clear in the moment, because it looks like a ton of
bikeshedding and other ways some individuals would label this; but it
will be useful some time from now, when it leads to useful results.

Having some people talk about things on a chat, forum, blog, ... might
have a short lived effect now with an occasional spike in the future;
but, a news item reaches a much wider public for a much longer item.

Let's say someone upgrades his system in some weeks / months from now,
that person will be thankful that a news item was written about this;
instead of having this be part of the already though job of updating.

Of course, there is a thing like "too much handholding" but I think
that's not the case here as the upower case pops up in a lot of places;
one does not have to forget that there is also "too little handholding".

If it weren't for genkernel or a kernel seed to help me start out with
a booting system, I perhaps might have never started using Gentoo; I've
afterwards managed to change my config over time to look nowhere near
the original, but at least it makes me happy to have experienced the
handholding to bring me where I am today. These "little things" matter.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D