Tom Wijsman posted on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 02:24:31 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:55:50 +0800 Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> The only step missing is:
>>
>> Mask the new version on all non-systemd profiles so that portage
>> doesn't try to install it
>>
>> (I wonder why systemd and the related stuff isn't masked on non-systemd
>> profiles anyway ...)
>
> There is no such thing as a non-systemd profile; a sub directory is a
> specialization, that doesn't mean that it parents suddenly become the
> opposite of that. No, the parents are just generalizations that aren't
> as specific as the sub directory.
>
> Doing what you've suggested everywhere but in gnome/systemd and
> kde/systemd is a recipe to upset everyone whom runs systemd on another
> desktop environment than GNOME or KDE; so, that's not a way forward.

+1

Currently I'm default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib.

I certainly don't want systemd masked as I switched to it a few months
ago, but there's no no-multilib systemd profile for me to switch to.  Not
that I actually need one unless someone goes mad and starts masking
packages without a good reason (like it doesn't work on that arch!) in
general purpose profiles.

Of course it wouldn't be a big deal for me anyway; given that I'm
advanced enough to have no @system at all as I've negated the whole thing
in /etc/portage/profile/packages, I'm sure I could unmask systemd if I
needed to.  But for other no-multilib systemd users, and for others using
similar profiles, masking systemd in a general purpose profile is NOT the
way to go.

The alternatives are a combinatorial profile explosion (impractical),
mix-ins, as TomWij suggests (medium-term solution, more likely long-term
given gentoo politics, but we need short-term here), or status-quo, not
masking packages that work just fine in general-purpose profiles.

Which basically means news items noting the manual action necessary for
things like this, as is now being done. =:^)