On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 08:44:45 +0800
Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 06/04/2014 08:24 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:55:50 +0800
> > Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> The only step missing is:
> >>
> >> Mask the new version on all non-systemd profiles so that portage
> >> doesn't try to install it
> >>
> >> (I wonder why systemd and the related stuff isn't masked on
> >> non-systemd profiles anyway ...)
> >
> > There is no such thing as a non-systemd profile; a sub directory is
> > a specialization, that doesn't mean that it parents suddenly become
> > the opposite of that. No, the parents are just generalizations that
> > aren't as specific as the sub directory.
>
> Since systemd needs special profiles to be easy to use ...

No, these systemd profiles are only introduced for GNOME and KDE ...

> ... it'd be the boring and easy way to restrict it to those profiles
> so that dependency changes don't cause this needless amount of work
> for users, and this indecent amount of mail on this mailinglist

..., which means that your restriction doesn't hold ...

> > Doing what you've suggested everywhere but in gnome/systemd and
> > kde/systemd is a recipe to upset everyone whom runs systemd on
> > another desktop environment than GNOME or KDE; so, that's not a way
> > forward.
>
> I have no idea what you are trying to say, but there's a desktop
> profile

...; because systemd users also use the desktop profiles ...

> > Another option is to create no-systemd sub directories; but such
> > profiles will be highly controversial, besides helping the
> > exponential grow of the profiles directories as well as be a
> > non-default profile.
>
> The "default" is already that, all I'm suggesting is masking systemd
> there so that portage doesn't needlessly antagonize users

..., which makes your suggestion not an option.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D