Dnia 2014-09-09, o godz. 16:46:29
"Anthony G. Basile" <bluen...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> On 09/09/14 15:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Let's keep it short: I think herds don't serve any special purpose
> >> nowadays. Their existence is mostly resulting in lack of consistency
> >> and inconveniences.
> >>
> > The original design was that packages belong to herds, and developers
> > belong to projects.  Projects might maintain a herd.
> >
> > The problem is that this isn't followed with 100% rigor, and the extra
> > level of indirection probably doesn't make bug things easier.
> >
> > I'm not sure what we lose by getting rid of herds vs just listing
> > projects as maintainers.  Maybe herds are useful as a form of tag, but
> > if we really wanted that it would make more sense to just have tags of
> > some kind.
>
> I can live with collapsing herds into projects as long as we keep some
> system where groups of packages come under the care of groups of
> developers.  Eg. coreutils is maintained by base-system, or drupal is
> maintained by web-app, etc.   But we do loose something. I like being on
> the bugzilla cc list of lots of herd where I'm not really a member of
> the project taking care of that herd.  I'm on both base-system@ and
> web-app@ aliases, but I'm not a member of base-system while I am a
> member of web-app.

I don't understand your concern. I'm only saying we should stop relying
on that stupid out-of-repository herds.xml file and put the e-mail
address directly in metadata.xml. Bugzilla and bug assignment would
work pretty much the same -- except that you wouldn't have to scan one
more file to get the e-mail you're looking for.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny