On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 07:13:21PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> The only thing that gets signed is the commit message, and the only
> thing that ties the commit message to the code is the sha1 of the
> top-level tree.  If you can attack sha1 either at any tree level or at
> the blob level you can defeat the signature.
>
> That is way better than nothing though - I think it is worth pursuing
> until somebody comes up with a way to upgrade git to more secure
> hashes.  Most projects don't gpg sign their trees at all, including
> linux.

I'm not worried about the attack (as I explained earlier in this
thread).  I'm just arguing for signing first-parent commits to master,
and not worrying about signatures on any side-branch commits.  So long
as the merge gets signed, you've got all the security you're going to
get.  Leaving the side-branch commits unchanged allows you to preserve
any non-dev commit hashes, which makes it easier for contributors to
verify that their changes have landed (the same way that GitHub is
checking to know when to automatically close pull requests).

Cheers,
Trevor