On 2014-09-14 21:57, Kent Fredric wrote:
> I generate metadata for the perl-experimental overlay periodically as a
> snapshotted variation of the same, and the performance isn't so bad.

Overlays with few eclasses are much different than the main tree.
Anyway, egencache isn't bad it's just significantly slower than
alternatives so it could be sped up quite a lot if necessary.

> However, what I suspect you *could* do with a push hook is regen metadata
> for only things that were modified in that commit, because I believe
> there's a way to regen metadata for only specific files now.

> ie:
>  modifications to cat/PN *would* trigger a metadata update, but only for
> that cat/PN
>  modifications to eclass/* would *NOT* trigger a metadata update as part of
> the push.

> And doing tree-wide "an eclass was changed" updates could be done with
> lower priority in an asynchronous cron job or something so as not to block
> workflow for several minutes/hours/whatever while some muppet sits there
> watching "git push" do nothing.

If we need to do piecewise regen it seems we would be better off just
sticking with the current scheduled cron job approach. Otherwise it
sounds like one could pull updates without having the correct metadata
for a significant portion of the tree.

Tim