Ian Stakenvicius:

> It's generally considered safe to push to origin/master a commit from
> a temporary local branch?

Why not?

Even if you have to rebase/merge, nothing will happen with your unstaged
local changes as long as no one has messed with the firefox ebuild in
the meantime... and then you have bigger problems.

> as I expect there are plenty of people that test ebuilds
> straight from CVS right now.

I remember people telling me to never do that, but anyway.

>> That said... I find that workflow a bit weird. Why is the firefox
>> ebuild already committed if it hasn't even been tested?
>

> That's just how i tend to work with git in what little i've been
> exposed to:  git checkout -b tmpbranch ; develop; commit; test &&
> {squash,checkout master,cherry-pick,push} || develop [....]
>
> It lets me roll back to earlier commits if i want to undo something,
> or revisit some code that i discarded, or whatnot...  Since committing
> != pushing, generally there isn't much harm, and i squash all these
> misc commits into one after everything's ready, so it doesn't clutter
> the history.

Maybe you could check if you can do some of that stuff with git stashes.
You can save them with a message indicating what it is about, apply a
particular one from the stash (ofc you can have multiple ones), drop
others, create branches based on the stash etc.