Rich Freeman posted on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:46:14 -0400 as excerpted:

>>> I'd consider it two logical changes ...
>>> But I don't have a strong opinion on that
>>
>> I do - I think this is really important. Having clean history makes a
>> huge difference for anyone who wants to use that history.
>>
>> One argument against those clean professional development practices
>> that comes up over and over is that it takes more time...
>> but since git makes committing so easy usually the difference isn't
>> very big, and the payoff when you benefit in the future is quite
>> significant.
>
> ++
>
> A git commit is virtually instantaneous since it is entirely local.

Unlike CVS, git commit != git push, and understanding that is vital to
effective us of git /as/ /git/.  Commit is local and fast; it HAS to be
to encourage single-logical-change commits.  But you can separately
commit one or a dozen or a dozen hundred logical changes as part of a
single set or a few sets of commits and push them all at once, /just/
once.

Devs doing gentoo all day could easily do one or two pushes a day, with
many commits in each.  Those with less time might do the same work over
several days or a week and might push just once or twice that week, if
none of the changes are time-critical enough to be worth a more urgent
push.