On 14/11/14 01:36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> Suggested policy to get the ball rolling:
>
>> In general, a package must explicitly depend upon what it directly
>> uses. However, to avoid ebuild complexity and developer burden there
>> are some exceptions. Packages that appear in the base system set may
>> be omitted from an ebuild's dependency list in the following
>> circumstances:
>
>> * C compiler and runtime
>
>> * C++ compiler and runtime
>
>> * A POSIX-compliant shell
>
>> * bash, baselayout, binutils, coreutils, findutils, grep, make
>
> awk? diffutils? texinfo?

I have no particular opinion on what should be included (or even if we
should have a whitelist - I am mainly interested in capturing library
usage). If we do have a whitelist, it would be useful to figure out what
in @system is intended to be actually be part of the base system and
what is there for convenience (eg. virtual/ssh).