On 11/17/2014 09:40 PM, William Hubbs wrote:

>>> Those people "know what they are doing" and could un-force the use
>>> flag. That would prevent people from accidentally disabling it via
>>> USE="-*".
>>
>> Are we talking about forcing +cxx globally or for gcc (+toolchain)?
>>
>> Has this been a major problem in the past? Shouldn't people who set
>> USE="-*" also "know what they are doing"?
>
> This is my feeling as well.
>
> If someone using Gentoo uses USE="-* foo bar ..." they get to keep the
> pieces.
>
> William

Using USE="-*" reveals so many random assumptions and untested ebuild
configurations that we should definitely rethink that sentiment.

And arch testers partly do exactly that.
So I think it's an excuse for bad ebuild USE flags and dependencies.
If your ebuild does not compile with USE="-*" (except because of
REQUIRED_USE or pkg_setup bailing out), then you did something wrong.

People already use this configuration and all related bug reports are valid.