Am Montag, 17. November 2014, 22:36:10 schrieb hasufell:

> > If someone using Gentoo uses USE="-* foo bar ..." they get to keep the
> > pieces.
> >
> > William
>
> Using USE="-*" reveals so many random assumptions and untested ebuild
> configurations that we should definitely rethink that sentiment.
>
> And arch testers partly do exactly that.
> So I think it's an excuse for bad ebuild USE flags and dependencies.
> If your ebuild does not compile with USE="-*" (except because of
> REQUIRED_USE or pkg_setup bailing out), then you did something wrong.
>
> People already use this configuration and all related bug reports are
> valid.

That's at most an argument that USE="-*" should be a theoretically valid
configuration. It does not mean that the setting makes sense for anyone.

USE="-*" was maybe a reasonable idea before we had use defaults.

Now, by setting USE="-*", you deviate from upstream defaults at random places
and pointlessly mess up the dependency calculations of python / ruby /
multilib / ... packages.

Message to users- if you want a minimum set of useflags, start from the main
default profile of your arch. That's what it is for. Everything else, and you
sure get to keep the pieces.

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer