03.01.2015 00:53, Mike Pagano пишет:
> On Saturday, January 03, 2015 12:39:39 AM Mikle Kolyada wrote:
>> 02.01.2015 20:25, Mike Pagano пишет:
>>> This is in no way complaining about how long it takes to stabilize a
>>> kernel.
>> As for this fact.
>>
>> <hat type="arch teams developer">
>>
>> The main problem is that: we only can test sources on machine we can
>> reboot. For example me and Agostino
>> have access to the rest hardware like alpha, ia64 and so on. But we
>> can't reboot it for clear reason i think.
>> Another side is that: not all hardware i have around can use
>> gentoo-sources, so it works with custom kernels.
>>
>> </hat>
>
> Mikle,
>
> Let me reiterate. This should be in no way interpreted as an attack on the
> arch teams.  I'm getting more and more constrained by life and slacking like
> crazy, so I would never complain about the amount of time other volunteers
> put
> into this distribution.
>
> AFAIC, you definitely don't need to defend the arch teams whom I respect and
> whose efforts I greatly appreciate.
>
> Mike

Mike, i think there was no attacking/defending here, just some
misunderstanding. In my point of view, Mikle just wanted to say that
proper testing of kernel requires booting in that kernel(it's obvious, i
think). And, while we, as arch team members, have access for those
machines, there is big problem: if tested kernel will panic - we are
stuck until machine's owner will fix it.

And you understand, how he would be disappointed, especially if nobody
warns him.

That's not related to kernel exclusively. That's the common problem for
all system stuff, that can break, while you have only remote access for
the machine.

That's why i prefer to test kernel, Glibc, OpenRC, udev, etc. on
machines, that i have physical access on.

So, i like your idea to stick stable to the LTS kernel. While it can
lead to potential problems with some external modules(which are, for
example, marked stable now but does not support 3.4 kernel) the majority
of really stable external kernel modules usually backward compatible
with LTS kernels. And, as they get security fixes and breaks rarely(at
least much more rare, than migrating from 3.X to 3.X+1), people, i think
who likes stable will be much more happy. At least i will be for sure :-)

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer