On 7 February 2015 at 10:08, Mike Auty <ike...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> [...] I
> was concerned that a warning which had been in place in package.mask
> since September was removed by a different developer than the one who
> put it in place,

I discussed this beforehand with said developer on IRC.

> and that a package was unmasked (while a USE flag was
> masked) which then forced everyone who read the portage news article
> and swapped mplayer to mpv based on the article, to then be told they
> have to rebuild with ffmpeg after all, and potentially rebuild a lot
> of other packages because of that.

I was not aware of mpv upstream preference for ffmpeg when that news
item was written, or I would have brought up that issue. You are right
that the resulting situation is more confusing than it should be.
Maybe I should have insisted on a news item, even tho maksbotan didn't
think that was necessary.

Do you think a news item to explain this situation and giving explicit
instructions for users who wish to stay with libav would be useful?

> The mask of the USE flag even
> removed the possibility of building the newer mpv with libav

No. Users can unmask the useflag and build mpv with libav if they wish.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer