Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> This is part of the set of topics which we
> >> cover outside the scope of the quizzes.
> >
> > A brief comment from reality is that this legal problem is quit
> > likely a significant hurdle for many potential developers - as for me.
> >
> > If you want contributing to be easy, overhead like this can't exist.
>
> It isn't clear to me what the overhead is here.
>
> The only things devs need to do with respect to copyright is follow
> the law

Ah, but which law? I understand that law in e.g. Germany does not
permit non-natural persons to own copyright. The public domain
concept is also not recognized world-wide.

So a German citizen who wants to contribute an ebuild now has a
significant legal questionmark on their hands, when actually they
just want to publish an ebuild.

> and ensure that ebuilds have the correct copyright notice.

Define correct... ;)

> It would be nice if we could just tell our developer candidates that
> they don't have to be concerned with copyright at all, but that would
> not be very good for any of us.

Every author of every work is automatically concerned with copyright.

I think Gentoo's policy of requiring copyright assignment would be
better replaced with a policy of requiring a (ideally specific) very
permissive license, something like MIT or BSD-2.

> Gentoo is very careful to comply with copyright law

Sure. Being governed by US law is a whole different topic.

//Peter