On 22 February 2015 at 15:35, Daniel Campbell <cont...@sporkbox.us> wrote:

> > Personally, I think that controlling who is allowed to run certain
> > types of applications via group membership is a great idea. We
> > should introduce that approach for other applications too. How
> > about an "editors" group? Text editors are potentially dangerous
> > because they allow users to modify files. Therefore, the system
> > administrator should add only trusted users to the "editors" group
> > so they can run programs like emacs, nano, or vim from the
> > app-editors category.
> >
> > Ulrich
> >
> I hadn't thought of that! Would testing that idea require much beyond
> creating the group, adding users, and chmodding the binaries? It seems
> like it'd make a good USE option for those running servers with strict
> permission needs. Then again, isn't that what LDAP or ACL are designed
> to handle?

Surely, there should be a straight foward way to do that via env.d +
package.env ?

env.d/restrict-editors.conf:

PORTAGE_INST_GID=editors  # this one exists
PORTAGE_INST_BIN="ug+x,o-x" # this one does not

or even

PORTAGE_BIN_DIR="/usr/bin/editors/"  # and then just set perms on the dir
itself, but this doesn't exist yet

+

package.env:

app-editors/* restrict-editors.conf

That combination would give the flexibility needed without having to have
portage implicitly bake all that logic into the whole tree. ( And it would
make it available to usecases we haven't envisioned yet )

I half considered Urlich to be joking .... but either way, I'm quite
capable of running with it and seeing where that leads us =).

Just seems that this type of isolation is really not necessary generally
and having it visible in a general purpose way is more prone to make life
difficult for both developers and users.

--
Kent

*KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL