You need to contact a...@gentoo.org to give you developer status on the wiki.

>> 3. Handling of fonts with both truetype and opentype variants, as
>> brought up in https://bugs.gentoo.org/406301#c8
>> Since OpenType is an extension of TrueType, and superior for desktop
>> and printing use, I propose that we prefer installing just OpenType.
>> But this should be user configurable, so in those cases I propose we
>> do:
>>
>> IUSE="+opentype"
>> if use opentype; then
>>     FONT_SUFFIX="otf"
>> else
>>     FONT_SUFFIX="ttf"
>> fi
>
> Both this and the use expand suggested by Luca seem good methods.
> I also suggest we prefer OpenType over TrueType whenever possible.

We need to get an addition to the eclass whipped up then, for use
expand handling.

>> 4. Project member should have a look at font bugs.
>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=media-fonts has a lot
>> of low hanging fruit: version bumps, dead homepages, etc. Also some
>> good new packages.
>
> I've seen a few of those and suggested webpages for a couple of them.
> I can go fix some of these if nobody else does.

Please do.

>> 5. Some fonts have webfont variants (WOFF is the important one here).
>> This may be useful for users doing web development. What are your
>> thoughts on installing those (conditionally, toggled by useflag)?
>
> Since this is mostly used for web developers, I recommend to leave it
> off for desktop users, but possibly on for servers, for example.

If we do the use expand, we should leave it up for users to set. I
suggest we default to only otf, if there is a choice. Other formats
should not be installed by default, unless it's the only option for
that package.

>> Anything else you want to discuss?
>>

> I'd like to suggest that we do not name new font packages font-*, but
> simply by the name of the typeface, such as open-sans, source-pro, etc.

I totally agree. I would also like to prevent format suffixes, such as
in ttf-bitstream-vera. And I would also like just lowercase package
names.

I think all font-* packages we have in the tree are X.org shipped
bitmap fonts. It's a useful indication for most users to ignore these.

> There is Source Serif, Source Sans, and Source Han Sans that are not
> packaged yet (see https://github.com/adobe-fonts for more info),

We do have media-fonts/source-pro, and I am planning on bumping that
package, as per bug #429780. I am hesitant to include the Han font
tho, since it is a 700+ MB download that may catch users unawares.

> as well
> as many other nice and well-known typefaces and icon fonts such as
> Aller, Amble, Casper, Clear Sans, Entypo, Font Awesome, Signika, Comic
> Neue, Fira, Nexa, Exo, Nobile, Open Sans, etc.

Some of those are on my to-do list already, but feel free to add others.

> There is also the really nice Input (http://input.fontbureau.com), but
> its license is only free for personal use, so we may need to talk to its
> designer to see if we can package it at all. I'm using it on my laptop,
> and it's a pleasure to read and very customizable.

The non-redistributable license is a problem. That's why I have chosen
not to include Envy R (which is somewhat popular for coding too).
Adding fonts with fetch restrictions seem counter-productive to me.
Users can simply download them for themselves and drop them in
~/.fonts/.

> Well, maybe opening a #gentoo-fonts on IRC will be a nice way to
> coordinate our efforts.

I don't think there will be that much to discuss on an ongoing basis
wrt fonts that it warrants a new channel. Let's keep it in
#gentoo-desktop for now, and see if we actually need a dedicated
channel.

> Also, this is definitely a minor thing, but all designers prefer the
> term typeface to font when referring to typefaces, so they'd probably be
> happy if media-fonts became media-type, or something similar. The
> distinction is that the set of fonts (regular, light, bold, condensed,
> etc) is what makes a typeface, which is the general style of all fonts
> in the set. Anyway, just food for thought.

I am aware of this, but the usage of "fonts" is so ingrained in the
popular mind, and it's a minor mistake at worst. I don't think it is
worth going thru the trouble of renaming the category (and fixing all
revdeps) for. We could use "typeface" in descriptions tho.

Finally, I would like to bring up fontconfig-ultimate [1] with a user
provided ebuild [2]  and some discussion on the forums [3]. There are
also many "fixed" fonts available, packaged for Arch Linux [4]. There
is some user demand for this, so I think we should package it. I
haven't yet taken the time to do so (too much other stuff going on).
What are your thoughts?

1: https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate
2: http://pastebin.com/iZ3LwbfH
3: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-993030-highlight-.html