> On 2015-06-28, at 09:30, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>  https://github.com/orlitzky/npm <https://github.com/orlitzky/npm>We don't
> have any standalone javascript packages in the tree at the
> moment but I know there's been some interest before. Is anyone still
> (planning on) working on javascript stuff in-tree?

Not in tree, but I was planning on an idea called enpm but I realised resolving
dependencies in npm is horrible, almost as bad as the live code on building
with Go. The only way I could see this work is to package the dependencies with
the app in a single tarball similar to what Vagrant does now. It is not the
Gentoo way but these new systems (gem, Composer, even Go) seem to not care very
much about having packages you can consider stable, nor predictable
dependencies.

I would still find it useful to install CoffeeScript (among others like
PhantomJS) via Portage for global use. Right now I hack on ~/node_modules/.bin
to PATH in my shell (luckily that works).