On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:30:25 -0400
Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I recently found a need for the CoffeeScript compiler[0] that runs on
> top of NodeJS. Its test suite requires a bunch of other javascript
> packages, and I wound up packaging enough of them to test
> CoffeeScript.
>
> In the process I wrote an eclass to handle packages hosted on the npm
> registry[1] and install them globally. I put all of this in an overlay
> for now:
>
>   https://github.com/orlitzky/npm
>
> We don't have any standalone javascript packages in the tree at the
> moment but I know there's been some interest before. Is anyone still
> (planning on) working on javascript stuff in-tree?
>
> If not, I'll probably commit dev-lang/coffee-script to the tree
> without its test suite. But if so, the eclass and few dev-js packages
> I have might be a good start. Then I could add coffee-script with its
> test suite working.
>

> [0] http://coffeescript.org/
> [1] https://www.npmjs.com/

Is this what I prompted about a year or more ago, and drew no interest
in pursuing the npm path?  I cited an eclass called npm.eclass in a
dev's overlay. The conclusion was that using npm to install anything
competed with portage at a level that made it a 'no go'. This came
from members of the portage 'team'. It is a very awkward topic.

--
kind regards

Ian Delaney