Ben de Groot posted on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:59:40 +0800 as excerpted:

> In my opinion, this is the way Gentoo has always worked, and we should
> simply recommend users to only set one of the qt* useflags as globally
> enabled, if they want to prevent such micro-management. Hiding the qt4
> option is in my opinion the wrong solution around people complaining
> after they have consciously enabled both flags.
>
> If this is not acceptable (or "absolutely unusable" as one dev put it),
> then we need a proper solution, which a) will not hide the qt4 option,
> and b) will prevent triggering required_use blockage by choosing qt5
> over qt4 in case both are enabled, while c) informing the user about
> this. This probably requires new eclass or even EAPI functionality.

What about a solution such as that used by python, USE=qt, for turning on
qt support at all if it's optional, with QT_TARGETS for people to set to
the versions they want if more than one can be enabled at once, and
QT_SINGLE_TARGET for people to set to their preferred if a package can
build against only one at a time, but that one can be chosen?

And of course, just as with python, people can setup an /etc/portage/env/
* file for exceptions, and point as many packages at that file as desired
using package.env.[1]

But this would be dramatically simpler with qt than it is with python,
since there will normally only be two (with a theoretical but unlikely
possibility of three) choices at the same time, and the time between qt
slot upgrades and slot-effective times as well is much /much/ longer than
between python slot upgrades.

Of course it'd require a whole new set of eclasses, but it's not as if
that hasn't been done before.

[1] FWIW, that's the python solution I've been using for awhile, with
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET set to 3.3 and then 3.4 in make.conf, with an
/etc/portage/env/python.starget.27 file that does what the name suggests,
and formerly quite a few package entries in /etc/portage/package.env
pointing to it that couldn't handle python3 yet, but now only one, app-
text/asciidoc.