<qa team lead hat>

In short - apropriate REQUIRED_USE with setting recommended
USE-flag(e.g. USE="+qt4 qt5" or USE="qt4 +qt5")

</qa team lead hat>

That's most painless decision for both developers and users. Developers
do not need to maintain ugly dependencies like

DEPEND="qt4 ? (
qt5 ( dev-qt/qtcore:5 )
!qt5 ( dev-qt/qtcore:4 )
)
"
and other mess.

</qa team lead hat>

Users will have default behaviour for empty make.conf. If they adjust
they make.conf to globally include/exclude some Qt-related USEs - they
are already moving from default and that's why - they can add apropriate
options to package.use

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer