On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 05:21:20 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 23:30:31 +1000
> Michael Palimaka <kensing...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I invite you to reproduce the problem yourself then make the
> > judgement. Using REQUIRED_USE like this makes the affected packages
> > unusable.
>
> Can't we all (except for the usual suspect) just agree that
> REQUIRED_USE was a mistake, and go back to pkg_pretend? The only
> justification for REQUIRED_USE was that it could allegedly be used in
> an automated fashion, and this hasn't happened.

+1

or restrict it so that it is not yet another sat instance

i.e. something that really tells the PM how to automate the choice:
- 'qt5 -> !qt4' is rather straightforward to solve and tells the PM how
  (note that it is not equivalent to 'qt4 -> !qt5')
- '^^ ( qt5 qt4 )' requires the PM to make a choice in order to
  automate it