On 8/15/15 7:35 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2015-08-15, o godz. 00:05:57
> Johannes Huber <j...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
>> if we want to attract more contributors we should consider to have one
>> supported EAPI (latest). EAPI 4 is the last not marked as deprecated
>> (< EAPI 5). The move in ebuilds from EAPI 4 to EAPI 5 is very simple
>> replacing the declaration. As we have now git in place we could easily
>> do this with one commit (awesome!!!!).
>
> This is a cheap hack, not a conversion. Proper conversion to a new EAPI
> is about using the new EAPI features. Not marking it 'done',
> and pretending there's nothing more to do.

Good point.

My understanding here it's more about deprecating EAPI 4 which we
wouldn't be able to do without moving to a newer EAPI.

Also note that even when writing from scratch, it's not guaranteed that
the developer will use all relevant EAPI 5 features.

Nothing seems to prevent doing the mass conversion first, deprecating
EAPI 4, and then having a second, slower pass to make sure the ebuilds
are using EAPI 5 as they should be. One way might be to add a "TODO"
comment during mass conversion, which then can be grepped for (and
removed after manual review).

Paweł