On 09/06/2015 02:00 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/05/2015 11:23 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
>> On 09/05/2015 01:04 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
>
>>> I think cargo should probably go in dev-util with other rust
>>> libraries and programs going into dev-rust as needed, but
>>> that's just me :D
>>
>> Agreed. dev-util until it grows in size (isn't the
>> recommendation 5-10+ pkgs?), then dev-rust. Despite the package
>> moves being somewhat cumbersome, it makes more sense to do it
>> once it's clear Rust has an ecosystem going rather than catch
>> stragglers in its infancy.
>>

> Ok, looks quite logical for me. So the next question. I remember
> portage had some problems with moving packages. Would it work if
> I'll move dev-rust/cargo to dev-util/cargo in our overlay now. And
> later when rust infrastructure grows move it in the main tree back
> to dev-rust? Or will it break something?
>
> -- Jauhien

Now that we're on git, I don't see why a quick `git mv old-cat/foo
new-cat/foo` wouldn't get the job done. Don't quote me on it, but my
guess is it would work fine. Then make sure the profile data gets
updated by updating the relevant file(s).

If you're keeping it in an overlay until you think it's ready for the
Gentoo repo, you may as well keep it whatever you want since it's not
bound by Gentoo policy. I would start with dev-util, even in tree, and
migrate to dev-rust when it reaches critical mass on packages (I'd say
at least ten).

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6