On 09/23/2015 05:30 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 04:40 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:
>>
>> We haven't had too many problems with it.  Most of our problems
>> seem to be with people having issues with git itself (it was new
>> to almost everyone on the team) and not embracing a good workflow
>> with it (or trying to only use git via Eclipse.)
>>
>> We have 80 or so Android repos and a much smaller handful of
>> proprietary repos in use.
>>

> Sorry to harp on this, but does your single gerrit user have write
> access to all 80 of your repos? Yours is internal so the risk is
> limited, but naturally, if we set one up, it would have to be
> public.
>
> If there's a bug in the web UI somewhere and someone figures out
> how to make it run code, that would put all of our repos at risk.
> Even without being able to run code, a bug might allow privilege
> escalation: someone outside the e.g. portage project might figure
> out how to push to that repo because all of the logic is in Java
> and not the filesystem.
>
> The way we have it now, push access is granted through SSH and is
> therefore tied to your user. Implementing users/groups/permissions
> in code would really be a step backwards; this isn't a theoretical
> argument.
>
> These issues can totally be fixed -- I'm not saying they're endemic
> to web-based git hosting. But to move access control down to the
> filesystem deviates from how everyone else does things. So first
> you need to spend time getting familiar with the project, then you
> have to overhaul the way it works, and finally you have to get
> upstream to acknowledge that you aren't crazy and accept your
> docs/patches. That's a lot more work than just setting it up.

I hadn't thought about that angle. If our access backbone is via SSH
(and thus the filesystem/machine users) then I'm really not sure how
to implement a GitLab or Gerrit instance while hooking into the
filesystem. Allowing users to open accounts in order to post bugs, etc
just isn't a great idea, imo, and duplicates the effort that already
exists in Bugzilla. Maybe it'd be smarter to find a way to `git-am`
patches from Bugzilla.

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6