On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:34:22 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> background:
> everyone wants @system to be slim, but most people want the initial
> stage tarball that we release and you install Gentoo from to not be
> completely sparse.  we've got a bug for this topic:
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/393445
>
> items to sort out:
> - should the list of packages be in catalyst or profile-stacked
> content -> imo it should be entirely in the profile

fully agree

> - should the packages list be in a new packages.default, or should we
> create a new set to hold it, or should we just go with @profile ?
> -> @profile has the advantage of already existing.  we have to be
> careful so as to make it difficult to uninstall packages that the
> user does not actually want.
>
> - if the packages aren't in @profile, should they be seeded in
> @world ? -> imo yes as  we don't want all the default packages
> getting depcleaned as soon as you start using the new install.  if
> they're in @profile, then this is a moot point (assuming depclean
> does not clean out @profile).

some kind of 'world' file in profiles like the 'packages' one that is
just used to populate world file after (or just before) stage3 build ?

not sure if sets provide the same flexibility: i can imagine iputils in
that set, but also another embedded profile with
busybox[make-symlinks], or the bsds

> - should stage3 be @system only, or @system+@profile, or
>   @system+@profile+packages.default ?
> -> this depends on the previous discussion a bit.  today, stage3's
> are @system, but imo @system+@profile is reasonable.  see next
> question too.
>
> - should we release stage4's instead of stage3's ?
> -> if we keep stage3 as @system-only, then we'd build stage4's which
> would add @profile/whatever
> -> downside is that we've been training the world to download &
> install stage3 for almost 15 years
> -> imo as long as the default @profile is kept slim, adjusting the
> definition of a stage3 is OK

i also think it's better to adjust stage3 if it is kept relatively slim,
but i'm pretty sure there'll be demand for @system only stages

Alexis.