On 10/15/2015 02:51 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> On 10/15/15 5:20 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
>> On 10/15/2015 02:13 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>
>> so if iputils is in @profile, and i do:
>>     emerge -C iputils
>> i don't get the ugly warning about it being in @system, but if i do:
>>     emerge @world
>> iputils comes back.  i think that's OK actually since people can do:
>>     emerge @selected
>> which has the classic @world meaning.
>> -mike
>>
>> People need to be able to use @world without it pulling in unwanted
>> packages, since it's the only way to properly do a full update of all
>> relevant packages (relevant packages being those that would not be
>> removed by depclean).
> But that's true of @system packages now.  If a user does `emerge -C
> iputils` they get a warning about it being in the system set and when
> they do `emerge @world` it comes back.

I think it's obvious that such packages don't belong in @system, unless
we're talking about a profile where iputils is absolutely required for
some reason.

> The only change in moving it to @profile is the warning.

What's the point of getting rid of the warning if the package is going
to get pulled back in on the next @world update? Either way, the end
result it that the user has to go through some hoops
(/etc/portage/profile overrides) if they don't want that package
installed again.

>  Also, I think the other change is during the
> building of the /tmp/stage1root during stage1, @system won't include
> iputils and this saves on the number of packages built.

The last time I checked, @system was not used for stage1. Catalyst used
package.build instead. Has that changed?
--
Thanks,
Zac