On 12/11/2015 02:13 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I'd like to make a short announcement that in the last few days
> I've been using my little free time to hack on my CI scripts, and
> they had a few major improvements. Most notably:
>
> 1. pkgcheck now checks for outdated Manifests. In other words,
> gentoo-ci will most likely complain about missing or extraneous
> Manifest entries before Infra does, and pull request checks should
> complain loudly about them before the PRs are merged.
>
> 2. The scripts use XML output of pkgcheck and group issues by
> packages, rather than grepping text output for failure indications
> and considering successive lines a single failure. Which means
> better output, better permalinks, better navigation and a
> completely new ugly UI.
>
> 3. Most of the persisting issues (like deprecations) are skipped
> now, and all the output fits on one page. And that page is usually
> easier on the browser than each of the splits were.
>
> 4. gentoo-ci compares previous check results correctly, and splits
> the output into three groups: new issues, previous issues and
> fixes issues.
>
> 5. gentoo-ci bisects on new issues, pinpoints the exact commit
> introducing the failure and CCs both the author and the committer.
> In other words, does the hard work for me and does it more
> efficiently. It also has nice bisect caching support which makes
> bisecting a number of issues caused by the same commit very fast.
>
> 6. pull-request checks now distinguish between issues introduced by
> PR and carried over from ::gentoo. Not that you should ignore the
> latter entirely since they may hide additional issues from PR.
>
> Most of this fun stuff came from a simple obvious thing that only
> recently occurred to me: I don't have to run a full pkgcheck for
> bisecting! I just need to check the packages that are failing in
> the most recent commit!
>
> Of course, the whole thing is open source:
>
> 1. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/repo-mirror-ci
>
> 2. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/pkgcheck-result-parser
>
> Enjoy!

Looks like you have a lot going on! That's cool. A quick question: is
this all automatic, or is there something besides repoman that
developers should be adding to their workflow to reduce the odds of
issues? I care about building a better tree and writing better builds,
but I haven't found much in the way of a "Gentoo QA Guide" that would
help a developer like me not make mistakes like that one issue with
apulse we dealt with a while back.

Any suggestions?

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6