On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:25:02 +0000
Roy Bamford <neddyseag...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 2016.01.21 16:53, William Hubbs wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:35:15AM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:

> > them, I
> > was

> > this
> > (and
> > but
> > > >

> > > Speaking as the dude who founded the treecleaners project...all
> > things die.
> > > Even software. While some may yearn for a software archive (nee,
> > > graveyard!), I put forth that the gentoo-x86 tree is not such a
> > thing. Do
> > > not weep for the unmaintained packages that will be cleaned![1]
> >
> > I couldn't have said this better myself. The gentoo-x86 tree is not a
> > software archival service. If packages are unmaintained, that is what
> > the treecleaners project is for is to boot those packages out of the
> > tree.
> >
> > I would like to see a possible timelimit set on how long packages can
> > stay in maintainer-needed; once a package goes there, if we can't find
> > someone to maintain it, we should consider booting it after that time
> > limit passes.
> >
> > If someone wants to run the graveyard overlay and keep those old
> > packages around more power to them, but they definitely do not
> > belong in the main tree if they are unmaintained for an extended
> > period
> > of time.
> >
> > William
> >

> There is no point in removing unmaintained but perfectly functional software
> from the tree.
> It needs to be both unmaintained and broken. Broken being evidenced by at
> least one open bug.

That's nonsense. In fact, that's exactly the opposite of what should be
removed.

If I see a package that clearly doesn't build or otherwise simply
doesn't work, could not have worked for past 3 years, are you forcing
me to waste a time reporting a bug to no maintainer who could fix it?

Because to me, the lack of any open bugs is a clear evidence that
the package is not only unmaintained, but also unused.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny