On 9 February 2016 at 13:59, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > On 2/8/16 10:09 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> How many of those 14 distros have more than 14 users?
> >
> > gentoo is very unpopular as a distro.  however, it excels as a meta
> > distro.  if you marginalize its special features, you take away all its
> > charm.

<snip>

> The controversy comes in when you want to make it a default, and start
> arguing that it is somehow better than the solution everybody else is
> using.
>
> Outside of Gentoo people either aren't concerned at all with eudev (it
> probably isn't even in their distro repositories), or they're a tiny
> distro whose main purpose in life seems to be to avoid installing
> systemd.  Of course you're going to get praise from them.
>
> I've always supported having eudev hosted by Gentoo.  I just don't
> support it being the default udev provider.

I too support eudev as default for openrc people, Gentoo is about
choice, and OpenRC eco-system should get rid of all systemd related
dependencies. This is a choice we provide. eudev should stand as its
own and provide a service for the non-systemd users, these users
actually care about what we provide, Gentoo is one of the last distros
that enables that. I use eudev since its first beta, and these guys
provides good service.

I also mask all systemd files that somehow find their way into my
system thanks to your past decisions as systemd supporter, instead of
installing these only when systemd USE flag is set and adding openrc
USE flag for the systemd users folks.

It may in future that udev will completely relay on systemd and we
left with eudev as the only choice for non systemd-eco system, it is
better to start building this eco-system now, make sure we have a
working solution at any given point in time.

Alon