On 4/8/16 9:36 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:11:48PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> On 4/8/16 8:42 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
>>

>>> It is true that we offer a high degree of choice to users, but one of
>>> those choices is not which paths to install binaries and libraries
>>> into.
>>
>> I thought vapier was introducing a switch USE=usr-sep which allowed us
>> to keep an unmerged /usr, or are we completely eliminating this choice?
>
> This use flag, sep-usr, has nothing to do with the /usr merge. It was
> added as a way to allow a few more people to use separate /usr
> configurations (this means/ and /usr on separate
> filesystems) without initramfs, before the council decided that all who
> have separate /usr should be using an initramfs.
>
> Separate /usr does not preclude merging / into /usr.
>
> William

So I'm still not seeing a great gain from this merger.  It seems like
you think the linker scripts are something bad.  Why?  And you don't
seem to like that we move some things around between / and /usr for pkgs
like coreutils.  But other than coreutils, I don't know many pkgs where
we do that.

Alternatively, this may introduce problems.  So it seems like we're
fixing something that isn't broken.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]