Michał Górny schrieb:
Therefore, I'd like to ask the following question: is it time to
announce the project dead, or do some developers want to revive it?
If the former, could someone try to contact last active contributors
and ask them if they'd like to move their ebuilds to ::gentoo
via proxy-maint?

I agree that the Sunrise repository should be removed from repositories.xml. I don't know if there is any way of informing users beforehand of this change happening. If not, then a grace period is probably pointless.

Moving ebuilds to proxy-maint and ::gentoo is complicated by the fact that there is no concept of maintainer in sunrise. (This is also why we were stricter than the portage tree, because the original committer might not be around when the next person would have to make changes.) As every package in sunrise has an associated maintainer-wanted bug, it would be good to post a message to each such bug to encourage interested users to contact proxy-maint.

I should point out that Sunrise has lost a lot of popularity to
proxy-maint, then also to GitHub pull requests (and the two combined).
The developers involved with those provide quite a good review
workflow, with the extra advantage of getting packages straight
into ::gentoo. I don't know how many users would be interested
in keeping them in ::sunrise if they could have them straight
in ::gentoo with similar (if not less...) effort.

Your thoughts?

I do think there is value in having a user repository. There are different ways to manage it: curated, non-curated, only trusted users get access, everybody gets access, etc. Sunrise is on one end of the spectrum and bgo-overlay probably on the other. The Sunrise approach ultimately did not scale and hinged on developers doing most of the work that proxy-maint would do but ending up in a much less visible repository.

Maybe an approach similar to what grobian initially suggested for the portage tree git migration[0] would be a good idea: Have individual user-managed repositories for packages, and an automated script that merges them. But of course someone needs to step up and make it happen.

[1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Sunrise

Until further steps are decided, I'll add a statement that the project is inactive and refer people to proxy-maintainers.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

[0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/753620a99ab88b9525a253590617db3c