On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Here's the third bugs.g.o redesign RFC.
>
> This time it's about closed bugs. Right now we have two states for
> them: RESOLVED and VERIFIED.
>
> RESOLVED is the usual state that the developers use when they close
> a bug. It's also the only state that could be directly transferred from
> other states.
>
> VERIFIED is used scarcely, and not really consistently. It can only be
> used on RESOLVED bugs, and sometimes users use it to confirm that
> the bug is resolved.
>
> To be honest, I don't really see the need for VERIFIED state. Since
> it's used scarcely, it can't be really relied upon. Some users use it
> completely incorrectly (e.g. when the bug should be reopened instead).

Agreed. However I don't see a strong reason to remove it, unless its
removal simplifies the introduction of STABILIZED. If it's useful to
some people, let them use it.

> What I'd like to introduce instead is a new STABILIZED state. It would
> -- like VERIFIED now -- be only available for bugs already RESOLVED,
> and it could be used to signify that the fix has made it into stable.
>
> While this wouldn't be really obligatory, it would be meaningful for
> trackers that need to ensure that fixes in packages have made it to
> stable -- like the functions.sh use tracker.

Makes sense, although, as you said yourself, if it's not used
consistently it cannot be relied upon. Besides, we already have a
mechanism for expressing this, we make the stable request bug block
the tracker.

Thanks,
Davide