On June 30, 2016 6:19:23 AM PDT, "Michał Górny" <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 05:55:42 -0700
>Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2016 05:38 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
>> > Hello, everyone.
>> >
>> > Back in 2011 I started a project called eclean-kernel. The idea was
>> > pretty simple -- to have a tool that would clean the old kernels
>for
>> > me since their install is not controlled by the package manager.
>This
>> > little project of mine seems to have gained a lot of popularity.
>> >
>> > Sadly, over time a lot of people had trouble with it. Aside to
>minor
>> > Python problems, eclean-kernel proved too simple to handle
>multitude of
>> > user systems with varying /boot layouts. In fact, even I don't use
>it
>> > on all of my systems since it doesn't handle them properly.
>> >
>> > After being buried in another set of bug reports, I'd like to
>> > officially ask Gentoo developers and users for help. I think it's
>> > impossible to solve most of the bugs reported so far in the current
>> > program design. Therefore, I'd like to rewrite it in a more
>flexible
>> > manner.
>> >
>> > For this reason, I would like to ask you to provide me with
>> > different /boot layouts you may have, had or seen. Basically, the
>idea
>> > is to collect as many different layouts as necessary, and use that
>> > design eclean-kernel in a way making it possible to easily
>configure it
>> > to handle proper variant -- or even possibly make it capable of
>> > autoconfiguration.
>> >
>> > So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
>> > a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
>> > as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
>> > distinctive features and pitfalls.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> I'm not sure if this is the info you're looking for, but I'll give it
>> shot:
>>
>> I have grub-static installed to /boot/. I like to organize my kernels
>> with the filenames as linux-${version}-gentoo-${buildno}. So my first
>> build of 4.5.0, for example, would be 'linux-4.5.0-gentoo-1'. It has
>all
>> the info I need for reference should something go awry.
>>
>> I have three symlinks: current, last, backup
>>
>> I wrote scripts that will update those symlinks for me, which makes
>the
>> process of kernel management pretty painless. Now that I'm thinking
>> about it, it could be simple in my case to simply clean any kernel
>that
>> wasn't linked to.
>>
>> My /boot/:
>>
>> grub
>> lost+found
>> backup -> linux-4.4.1-gentoo-2
>> boot
>
>What's 'boot' here? Is that relevant?
>
>> current -> linux-4.4.6-gentoo-1
>> initrd

> [...]

'boot' is a symlink to '.'. Not really sure why it's there but if I remove it,
things break. Probably a minor misconfiguration.

Yes, the same initrd is used for all kernels. I use LUKS and LVM, so I need the
initrd to boot. I produced the initrd using genkernel and it's worked ever
since.

Yes, grub.conf indeed references the symlinks and never an explicit kernel path.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first mail.
- --