On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:38:26 +0200
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
> a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
> as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
> distinctive features and pitfalls.

All of our systems have this:
/boot/${KV}/{vmlinuz,initramfs,System.map,perf,config}-${KV}

With these symlinks
/boot/vmlinuz -> ${KV}/vmlinuz-${KV}
/boot/initramfs -> ${KV}/initramfs-${KV}
/boot/config -> ${KV}/config-${KV}
/boot/System.map -> ${KV}/System.map-${KV}

Some systems also have:
/boot/${KV}/vmlinux-${KV}

/boot/vmlinux -> ${KV}/vmlinux-${KV}

When updating to a new kernel, we generally unpack a tarball
containing the new kernel to /boot and update the symlinks to point to
the new versions. All files related to a kernel are in that kernel's
directory, which makes cleanup somewhat easier.

The values of KV look like one of these:
4.4.14-vanilla-base-1
4.4.14-gentoo-r1-base-1
4.7.0-rc5-vanilla-base-1
4.7.0-rc5-vanilla-base-1+
4.7.0-rc5-vanilla-base-1-00254-g1a0a02d

Mostly, it's a version, sources version, configuration type and
version. These are generated via setting CONFIG_LOCALVERSION, and
whatever else gets spit out by the build system.