waltd...@waltdnes.org schrieb:
And even if the system is behind time, it can cause problems. cronjobs
running unexpectedly close to each other (or missed cronjobs in extreme
cases). User sessions expiring early, etc.

And even if there is only one second, and that is known well ahead
(e.g. leap seconds): Unless you know that there isn't going to be
a problem, a great deal of care needs to go into handling that.
   In that case, the dev machine should be a separate machine from the
server.  They don't even have to be separate physical machines.  Do the
dev work in a VM, and set the time in the VM just before doing the push.

I am not talking about bircoph's dev machine, I am explaining why ntpd works the way it does. Which usually doesn't lead to problems as the drift will be corrected sooner or later. So there was never a problem nor reason for action in either case, until it was decided that 5 seconds is the maximum drift for a push to gentoo.git.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn