On December 9, 2016 10:12:54 PM PST, "A. Wilcox" <awil...@adelielinux.org>
wrote:
>I think James has perhaps spoken ambiguously, or at least I hope that
>you have misunderstood his proposal.  (If you haven't, then he's
>misunderstood mine.)
>
>The point of making it easier to fork is not only for the benefit of
>developers.  As James says:
>
>> And then folks running gentoo-proper now can pick and choose which
>> innovations they want to include in the master tree.
>
>The idea being the people who "run" Gentoo, that being the developers
>of Gentoo, can pick what they want from the forks and derivatives, and
>include those improvements in the master tree.  Then all Gentoo users,
>and all derivatives of Gentoo, can benefit from those improvements.

You’re right, I took the word “run” in the sense of “execute” (the OS), not in
the sense of “manage” (the organization). If forks are a way to develop work
destined for upstream, they’re great. It’s when they become a tool for
fragmenting the community (of both users and developers) without any hope of
work being recombined that they become a problem.

--
Christopher Head