> How about "atoms". We've been using that for ages (regardless of
> what PMS authors think) so why change it now?

The best definition I could find for "atom" is in ebuild(5):

   A depend atom is simply a dependency that is used by portage when
   calculating relationships between packages.  Please note that if
   the atom has not already been emerged, then the latest version
   available is matched.

The point is that the syntax to be used in a keyword request is not
a general package dependency specification (aka "atom"). You neither
want only CATEGORY/PN there, nor any operators or use dependencies,
nor do you want to match the latest version available. What you want
is a list of CATEGORY/PF each specifying exactly one ebuild. Also,
arch testers keyword ebuilds but not "atoms".

> Alternatively, I would propose to call them "bikesheds" as that will
> work just as well as any other label and will succinctly refer to
> the creative process that made it a replacement for "atoms".

Well, I am just suggesting to use a precise term there, because IMHO
it would help to avoid confusion.

Ulrich