On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Michael Jones <gen...@jonesmz.com> wrote:
> From a non-gentoo developer who seriously looked at joining the community
> over the last few years as a new developer, this entire conversation thread
> is absurd, and is a wonderful example of why I decided to not bother.
>
> If you don't want people to edit the field such that it's usable with the
> official package manager of the distribution, then change the formatting
> rules for the field!
>
> If you don't want people editing a field, then change the software such that
> groups who aren't allowed to edit the field aren't even capable of editing
> it!
>
> Either officially document the expected formatting and permissions, or put
> automated enforcement rules into place. Throwing accusations of wrongdoing
> around simply because the action in question generates an email is, again,
> absurd.

While the situation is indeed absurd, and this email will no doubt
only fuel your shock, the solution isn't quite that simple.

Validations probably would help, assuming they can be implemented in bugzilla.

Permissions are a touchy situation, because the person who is being
accused of incorrectly editing the field is also our main bug
wrangler, who probably does more bug editing than just about anybody
else.  So, removing their permissions also removes one of their main
areas of contribution to Gentoo.

One of the issues that keeps coming up is around just how
decentralized we are, and that has pros and cons.  We're pretty
reluctant to actually enforce just about anything, or sometimes we're
inconsistent (we let somebody post on the mailing lists, but not
github, and so on).

--
Rich